Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Oh Music

Came across this download of a certain Asian movie's soundtrack. It's got ten songs inside a compressed file of around 45+ mb. I was amazed by how that out of the blue download got me a collection of really good sounding songs. And they're in some Asian language!

Of course I don't know any other Asian language other than what I learned from living in the Philippnes, those melodious songs though took me some time to let go of them from my playlist. The lyrics sounded like random pairings of vowels and consonants but the tunes were really catchy and hard to get over with. They most probably were love songs. Well, good thing there's language barrier to keep me off stereotypical cheesy or corny lines and phrases.

I think I'm one of those who would mercilessly bash lyrics but for me, a beautiful melody always saves a song. I remember liking the song Tu Y Yo from over a decade ago. I knew it was from some Mexican telenovela and for someone my age (back then) it wasn't cool listening to a telenovela song. I didn't understand the words so I got nothing to bash; I only had the music to enjoy. The song MMMM MMMM MMMM also haunts me, reminding me of some mysterious points in my childhood. It does not have the best lyrics but the title and how it's sung are enough for some dork like me to call it good music. The very popular (in French speaking countries) "Pour que tu m'aimes encore" also has its special place in my brain...and my heart, sentimentally speaking. French usually sounds weird to me but that song's lyrics and tune sounded like a perfect combination.

Somehow I'm beginning to think that the most beautiful songs for me are songs that I can't sing along with. They are those that have the overall package that puts them above every other ordinary song. Untouchable, one can only remain in awe listening to them and feeling every note gently slipping into the ears. With this recent set of songs I got, I think I'm beginning to develop a new perception of what good music really is and how it affects anyone.

Okay, I'm just ranting here albeit positively. No link to the songs to be given away since I know enjoying music has always been something subjective. Not to invite anyone to judge my musical tastes, the only intention is to share some thoughts and show how the Internet provides all the opportunity I've never had in my younger years.

(I'm not promoting piracy. The set of songs I got comes from a country whose music I guess has the slimmest chances to make it here in the Philippines. Nothing lost for them, they're not gonna make much with that in my Westernized homeland)

No comments:

Post a Comment