Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Stupid Complaints

You know one thing I hate about the Philippines? People here just love to complain about very trivial things. Could be funny but it's just annoying.

Saw on TV this evening a group called "Katribu" complaining on how Big Brother housemates wear the "bahag." Too shallow! The "bahag" is a native costume made of hand-loomed piece of long cloth wrapped around a man's middle to cover what needs covering.


Filipino people (at least a sizeable portion of the population) complain about how the national anthem should be sung on Manny Pacquiao's fights. Come on, I haven't even heard of anyone complaining on how tonedeaf students and even public officials sing Lupang Hinirang on Mondays. Try examining that guy or gal who leads the singing. Does he or she even know what those hand seals of sorts (sorry I don't know how to call those...thinking Naruto here) mean or how they should affect the singing?

I've also heard of native folks banning one comedienne for allegedly maligning them with a joke that goes "Hindi po ako Igorot" (I am not an Igorot). That very simple line does not deserve very sensitive inference. Anyone non-Igorot has the right to deny that he or she is one and being a comic artist, the more one has the privilege to say such words. This is just my opinion but I think many also share the same thoughts.

And we have "racial slurs" in the international media. Okay, I may have second thoughts on calling this stupid. Maybe I'm just reacting negatively on the complaints based on how complainants do their complaining. Why don't we just act with even a little dignity?

We all have the right to complain but my only appeal is can we be a little less annoying? Maybe the media is also to blame. Why do they just love broadcasting or writing about such trivialities?

No comments:

Post a Comment