Friday, January 18, 2008

Another Webnode adticle

I owe Webnode a review post but I still couldn't do an extensive exploring of its features so I'm coming up with this adticle. I've done a post on how Webnode is feature-wise better than Weebly before. I'm gonna do a collation of reactions on the tool/service now.

----
An Aussie blogger writes “WebNode ~ build your own web site for free”
The blog is mostly positive and it's getting these comments...
  1. Paul Hamilton Says:
    January 3rd, 2008 at 4:23 am Hi John. Thanks for mentioning my blog–two days in a row! Thanks, too, for reviewing Webnode. Your screenshots are helpful. I agree with you that this looks like a powerful tool for anyone wanting to create a full featured website. I think I need an interpretation of the license issue from someone with more copyright awareness than I have in order to sort out the implications. I’m glad you pointed out the concern about ownership. –Paul
  2. John Larkin Says: January 3rd, 2008 at 6:23 am
  3. Hi Paul,
    You are most welcome. I hope I did not steal your thunder. I was keen to share the screen shots on the net. I am preparing a how to worksheet for my colleagues.
    It is quite a useful tool in my opinion. I did wonder about their bold statement about there not being a catch and I scoured the site looking for clues regarding advertising, future directions, etc. I initially thought that perhaps their partners such as Google, Flickr, Paypal and Yahoo might be collectively financing the project. The statement in the T&C regarding their usage of any materials is ‘interesting’ to say the least.
    Cheers, John
  4. Dale Says:
    January 10th, 2008 at 3:36 pm I’m looking to setup a simple webnobe site for a friend and was similarly concerned (how paranoid we have become) at the free-no-catch statement. After spending a little time working with the tool and exploring it’s features, I noticed that the email is “Only available in Professional edition.” Could it be possible that the free service is a loss leader for a professional commercial service? In any event, I am going to use it for my friends site. If I come across a “catch” I drop you a comment.
    Kind Regards
    Dale
  5. Shane Says:
    January 13th, 2008 at 3:58 am Dale, I too picked up the professional edition issue with teh email. I cannot find any mention of professional edition. I assume there must be one coming, as I was unsure how they were intending to make this venture commercially viable though. Misleading though to list in their features, and completely free, noc tahces, if in fact there are.
    I really like the tool though. Best I’ve seen to date, and these are poopoing up all over the place

A negative one from Techcrunch here: "Webnode launches with amnesia"
A number of comments come to defend Webnode from this post.
Samples:

  1. Steve Bowbrick
    January 15th, 2008 at 12:52 pmI like the look of it. Whenever I put a web site up these days I just use a blog - but that’s only because there are no easy-to-use site creation tools online. I’d really like something that would allow me to build fairly rich sites quickly. Having said all that, I see that all the blog players are evolving in the direction of ‘pages’ and more flexible layouts and I guess winning users is going to be pretty hard in this space…
  2. Karl Band
    January 15th, 2008 at 1:35 pmMike, I think you should spend some time with this service before you write a full article. I wouldn’t compare WebNode to Ning, it has different goal and market.
    For those who would like to read a complete review by users who have gone through the complete
  3. My website http://www.ambientium.com is hosted by WebNode so you may check how it looks. I must say that it took me about 30 minutes to understand Webnode and create the structure of the whole site….
  4. Me
    January 15th, 2008 at 4:08 pmIt is very interesting to note that Mike Butcher has equated ‘Webnode’ to ‘Ning’. I only see a casual resemblance in that it allows users to put something on the web. That is it though.
    Webnode has a very powerful web building toolbar that sets it apart. Users can build any website they like with it, for free.
    Webnode has just been launched and if it is already being compared to the best free web builders and social sites that the Internet has to offer, then I can say “well done”. Mike seems to think that it is going the wrong way… or that it is the same as ‘Ning’.
    Webnode offers a much more powerful web builder than anyone could have expected. If it was to ignore competitive services, Webnode would have developed the same service, or less, but not more… not much more, as it has done.
    I don’t understand why the slur aimed at the Czech Republic? Why shouldn’t they know something you do not? European funding for technological initiatives for the latest round of EU members is a very good thing. I don’t see any reason to deliver a belittling prospect for these democratic EU member nations that are starting up something new, especially, when they are offering inventive, creative and free services that make a genuine attempt to improve the Internet.
    I think your review is a closed-minded, bigoted example of everything an evaluation should not be. Most of us go out of our way to actually use a service before we review it… and not to sound like Adolf Hitler, you know?
----
Okay, so what's my take? For me Webnode is good. The features are promising. I haven't done an extensive testing to do a decent review but I created a little test page to try the features.

A few notes:

1. Webnode takes some time to complete the "custom CSS" task. It even crashed my browser at one point. Mind you, I am not running a mediocre PC and I am running the reliable Firefox browser.

2. It takes quite some time to figure out how to do domain assignment-- that feature that allows one to assign the Webnode-create page to a domain of choice. This one is pretty easy in Weebly.

3. An "insert custom html" feature is enough to replace all the widgets offered in Webnode.

4. The templates are not something useful to advertise Webnode. They'll spoil the promotion. I mean they're not good enough to make Webnode appear superior.

5. The question on how the owner aims to make profit with Webnode is something to worry about. I've read an item that wrote this:
There are several opportunities to profit on WebNode through paid services:
- Extension of storage space limit (100MB default)
- Extension of bandwidth limit (5GB default)
- Selling extra e-mail accounts
I hope the profit-making ends there. Without a clear word on who really owns what what in the Webnode-created website, I think not so many would be interested in setting up a long-term website with Webnode. There's this constant disbelief in the line "no strings attached." What about the hosting? How reliable could it get?

There's mixed reaction to Webnode on the web. Admirers of webpages-on-the-fly tools welcome Webnode. Web developers find flaws in it. Moreover, some news articles about it getting $1.2M in investments seem sarcasm-infused.

I have been checking out pages that mention Webnode. I notice some intensive-but-not-so promotion going around. There's this somebody or 'somebodies' who keeps/keep posting comments on blogs, spreading the word about Webnode in a "smarty" kind of way. Quite annoying. Webnode is a promising online tool and people will realize that soon. The "smarty" commenting and promotion though spoils Webnode's rise.

No comments:

Post a Comment