Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Meebo

This browser-based IM service client didn't just pique my curiosity, it impressed me.

meebo image

Save yourself from the hassles of downloading instant messaging software to your PCs by getting an account at Meebo.com. This Ajax instant messaging client handles most of the major IM services at present – from Yahoo! to MSN TO Google Talk. Fast and easy, it consolidates several IM services into one browser-based platform that features almost all the functionalities of every IM service.

Made accessible to the public on September 14 of 2005, Meebo was the brainchild of three young entrepreneurs. The initial concept was to combine the features of Trillian or Gaim with the availability of AIM Express. Soon enough, Meebo had the feature that allowed users to sign up for one Meebo account that enables all-in-one access to various IM services. Add to that the capabilities of sound prompts, chat log keeping, and a display image.

Less than a year since having been publicly introduced, Meebo has already gained a spot in PCWorld’s Top 100 World Class Products – a feat indeed.

I love Meebo. Flaws? None that I have encountered yet. The simple features and functionalities are working just fine for me. Really saves me the time logging in to multiple IM accounts or downloading any software especially when I am accessing the Internet not through my PC. It even solved my recurring problem of being unable to access Y!M servers.

Meebo also edges out the actual Y!M application when it comes to configuring stealth settings. It is capable of detecting invisible Y!M buddies (without the need of any third party application). Meebo, however, is unable to detect an invisible Y!M buddy if the same is logged in via Meebo.

No comments:

Post a Comment